NSW ready to begin transition to NDIS

Media Release

Thursday 30 June 2016

Minister for Disability Services John Ajaka today joined children with disability and their families at the Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children (RIDBC) in Western Sydney to mark the official start of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in NSW.

Mr Ajaka said more than 40,000 people with disability living in NSW were expected to transition to the NDIS over the next 12 months.

“The NSW Government is delivering its commitment to transition to the NDIS by July 2018. The NDIS is on track, on time and on budget in NSW,” Mr Ajaka said.

“The Scheme will give people with disability in NSW real choice and control over their lives.

“Importantly, the NSW Government has been working hard with its partners in government and non-government sectors to ensure NSW is NDIS-ready.”

Starting tomorrow, people with disability in Sydney’s North, West and South West, as well as the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter New England and Southern NSW region will have access to the NDIS. Other areas of NSW will join the Scheme from 1 July 2017.

“For most of their lives, people with disability have been waiting. Waiting for support and opportunities. Tomorrow’s NDIS launch means for many that wait is over. And soon that wait will be over for all. We’ve come so far. The NDIS is real and this is a cause for celebration,” Every Australian Counts Campaign Director John Della Bosca said.

RIDBC Chief Executive Chris Rehn said the NDIS allows for greater control, flexibility and choice for people with disability.

“RIDBC already leads the way in providing individualised and tailored services to meet the unique needs and life goals of the children, adults and families we support. Access to our services is strengthened under NDIS, ensuring the best outcomes for people with vision or hearing loss,” Mr Rehn said.

The NSW Government will contribute $1.3 billion to the NDIS in 2016-17, while the Commonwealth will contribute an additional $740 million.