The NSW and Australian governments have reached agreement on funding, governance and operation of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in NSW.
The NDIS is the largest social reform in a generation. NSW is the first state to sign a Full Scheme Agreement with the Australian Government, a historic step in this important reform. It will provide the basis for the NSW and Australian governments to work together to improve outcomes for people living with disability in NSW, now and in future generations.
The NDIS will ensure people with disability have more choice and control over the supports they receive, assisting them to achieve their goals.
NSW has already successfully transitioned more than 84,000 people into the NDIS and has 3400 active service providers delivering NDIS supports. In NSW, the NDIS is expected to benefit up to 140,000 people with disability.
What is the agreement?
- The Full Scheme Agreement sets out the ongoing governance and financial arrangements for the NDIS in NSW.
- In 2018–19, the Australian and NSW governments will commit more than $6 billion to the NDIS. The agreement ensures the scheme will be financially supported in the long term.
Why is it important?
- The Full Scheme Agreement outlines shared responsibilities and clear ways of working between NSW, the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission, and the Australian Government. This will help ensure that the NDIS is operating effectively and providing high-quality supports to people living with disability. Where issues emerge, this gives both governments a basis to work together to solve them.
How will the agreement affect me?
- The agreement outlines a shared commitment to improving outcomes for people with disability, and increasing their social and economic participation in NSW.
- The NDIS will enable independence for people with disability by allowing them to exercise choice and control in the pursuit of their goals.
- The NSW and Australian governments commit to support innovation and market reform in the disability support sector.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Visit ndis.nsw.gov.au for information about the NDIS in NSW.
For advice about eligibility for the NDIS and how to access the scheme, or to enquire about an NDIS plan, please contact the NDIA on 1800 800 110 or online through its contact form: www.ndis.gov.au/form/contact-form.html.
Visit the Australian Government’s NDIS website at www.ndis.gov.au